What To Do When A Loved One Is Near The End Of Their Life
It can be very difficult to deal with the impending death of a loved one. You have to be present by that person’s bedside in their last moments to offer some solace and give them company. But all the anxiety and anxiousness that you feel can slowly take its toll on your mental health too. The entire process can become quite exhausting and draining.
There could also be times when you feel that it’s best that it all end quickly. This feeling is also usually accompanied by a sense of guilt and the entire situation can be extremely challenging to deal with.
Things To Do
However when you are giving a loved one company as they near the end of their life, there are certain things you can do including:
- When a person is nearing their end, their eyes may be shut. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t aware of what is happening around them. They may still be able to hear things and you should say something comforting if you feel it’s appropriate to do so.
- Dim the lights and light a few candles instead. During the daytime, you should draw the curtains or shades so that the light and glare doesn’t cause them any distress.
- Create a soothing atmosphere in the room by playing some calming music.
- If you think they would like it, you can read some religious verses to them. Even a poem or hymn they particularly like can be good at a time like this.
- Not everyone wants to be touched when they are dying, but you may want to hold their hand lightly to show them you are there beside them.
At Nutmeg State Cremation Society, we provide comprehensive funeral services and can help you with all aspects of the process, so if you have questions, don't hesitate to contact us.